Izioq - Retro Life





There's not much to say about Izioq except he is a person of the 80s. Izioq is proud of the decade he was born into, dedicating much of his chiptune music to the kids of the 80s & 90s. He's also proud to say that he solely uses consoles to produce his music, not using any modern software (such as, VST's, Synth or even any Equalisers).
I found his music through a nice message he sent via facebook, in which I was given a link to his breakout album, Retro Life. I soon as I began listening, you can instantly tell that Izioq took the time, in terms of production and mastering, with the quality crystal clear. If you've had experience doing this, you'll know it's a damn hard process to do.

There are many songs in this album (a whopping 18) and I can't talk about them all, so I'm going to list my favourite ones.

The album immediately kicks in with the fantastic, Blow into the cartridge, a great bouncy track with melodic leads that'll get you humming. Even though I heard of songs like this before, every sounds and fits perfect.



The next song which I loved, was Mogwai Life due the shout, "LET'S GO!", which incidentally sampled from Lemmings (one of my favourite old school games) and it's bouncy bass.




Enter your name: AAA is another classic with some cool ass filtered leads and the stand out lead bass. There was so much to love about this song, this is probably one of my favourites.



I also loved the song after, Pizza + VHS + Friends as it's a nice breakdown in the album and reminded me so much of the years I left at uni.



My Princess is in another Castle is another slow song, but works so well as one, invoking all of Mario's woes (that damn Peach).



To round it off the album, the final song, Melt the Wizard is a great send off to tie off everything, from the throwback to the 80s and 90s, with it's lovely arpeggios running up and down the song throughout.



Retro Life was a great listen, bringing me back to some parts of the 80s & 90s. The Lemmings sample, blowing into the cartridge, The wet bandit, and many more. The only problem I had was perhaps it was too long and probably the best songs should've been picked and used (perhaps keep the others for a special edition for physical release). But forgetting that a solid piece music and one to buy if you reminisce about the former decades.

Rest of the album is below:




No comments:

Post a Comment