L Tron - Voyage



The chiptune music has been racking up for me whilst spending time on holiday, so let's get back into it, post-haste! This week I'm reviewing the latest 2-track EP from L-tron, featuring the artist known as, 'Rockman'. Compared to most chiptune artists, L-tron is very 'house' orientated, using LSDJ to focus on repetitive & slow changing hooks, instead the conventional means that everyone else follows. L-tron's style reminds me of Robtka's house style, as both lend themselves to melodies whilst keeping the same rhythm & hook. Listen to Robtka's, track 'Springroll' & you'll probably agree with me.



The first track takes it's name from the EP and is called, 'Voyage part I'. This is also the track which features L-tron's, friend, 'Rockman'. Rockman does a lot of L-tron's mastering in his tracks, so it's completely understandable, he'd collaborate with him. As soon as you begin to listen to 'Voyage Part I', you're immediate introduced to some extremely innovative drums. There's a heavy use of toms used here, whilst also using claps & snares together to really bring the snap together in the track. Some simple yet effective use of the pulse channel is also displayed here as well, merging almost perfectly with the drums & rhythmic square bass sounds that roll right under the melody.

You can easily that the introduction of 'Voyage Part-1' is extremely effective, hooking you in with both the drums & melody. However, once the track gets to the '1:30' mark, it kicks itself into overdrive with enhanced use of distortion through both the pulse & WAV channels. All the sounds seem to mash together to create one hardcore symphony. I could go on talking highly of this track, but I think it's safe to say that you'll understand my gist of why this is an incredible LSDJ track. So much so that some of my music has taken inspiration from the style that L-tron & Rockman have created here.



Moving on 'Voyage Part II' is track featuring just L-tron and is much different in it's rhythm & energy. However that is not to say that, the track isn't as good as it's previous counterpart, far from it. I particularly enjoyed the main melody which 'Part II' was structured around, the rolling arpeggios noodling about at '0:52' especially. I also love the subtle use of the sharp pulse channels to create a sort side chaining feel, starting the the '1:52' mark.

I really must say, L-trons EP has opened my eyes to new ways of doing chiptune on LSDJ. It's caused to look back into some of L-tron's discography, listen to the tricks he's used and implement them into my own music. I'd like to see more chiptune house music centered around LSDJ in the future, either from L-tron or someone else.



 ~ L-tron ~ 
 Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Facebook

 ~ Rockman ~ 

If you want to follow for more chiptune music see below:

No comments:

Post a Comment