Nanode - Journey



I have literally been busy this week! So much has been going on, but I'll tell you about it later. This weeks review is on Nanode's latest album, Journey. It hasn't been long since I last reviewed his previous (debut) album, Loopy being entirely being created on Nanoloop. It was a fantastic funky mess of 32bit bleeps and bloops. So when I found out that Nanode had just released another album, Journey, using LSDJ I was intrigued.



Although Journey's opening song, 'Discotheque' wasn't really my cup of tea, its 2nd song, Reaver brings an energy of its own, through its dark tones & experimentation. Nothing is ever used twice, with even the bassy hook that begins shortly at the start of the song, is replaced at 2.30 with some hardcore chipstep. Reaver is a good experimental piece and seems to remind me of 'Chipzels' style throughout the track.



Another song which really got me into the groove was, 'New Horizons' and is a nice mixture of some EDM, whilst using a familiar structure. Everything throughout 'New Horizons' works well with each other, blending a funky arpeggio & some bass serving underneath, with the latter instrument sounding brilliantly. I also extremely enjoyed the square waved instruments of the leads. They seemed to really stand out from from the rhythm of 'New Horizons', partly due to how well the instrument was designed.

After listening to much of the album, I can honestly say that Nanode's Journey is ultimately a 'journey' of its own. It's an extremely experimental album, one that pays off in the majority of the tracks. It'll be now interesting to see whether Nanode can take what he's learnt with LSDJ, and combine it with Nanoloop.

PICK TRACK:
NEW HORIZONS



 ~ Nanode ~ 
Twitter | Soundcloud | Bandcamp | Facebook | Blog |

If you want to follow for more chiptune music see below:


Okay, so before I said I'd been busy. Well that's because I've been setting up my own chiptune event! Yes, really!



The Manchester-based event is called 'CHIP BIT DAY' and is being held on April 23rd, at the Kings Arms, Salford, with a variety of different acts, visuals & cake! Sounds good? Brilliant! However to make this event even more awesome, I've set up a 'indiegogo' page in order to bring in more money for potential artists!

Confirmed artists are:
Mpegasus / 2XAA / Auracle / GwEm / Euan Lynn / JELLYATRIX / Rituals

Potential acts from crowd fund:
HARLEYLIKESMUSIC / J3WEL ...

If think 'Chip Bit Day' is your thing, then you can obtain a ticket right now by pledging, just click the link down below & I hope to see you on the 23rd!
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/chip-bit-day-a-day-celebrating-chiptune

No comments:

Post a Comment