Hyperwave Records Launch Party

This week has been a busy one. I finally finished my first ever chiptune song!

HELL YEAH!

I'm now going to press and get a further 3 songs (but they won't be as long as this first one; it took me quite a few months to finish it) as a EP.

Anyway in the last post I said I would write about my time seeing Shirobon's Hyperwave Launch Party in London, and write I shall!

Me and friend began set off to London from merry old Manchester in my car. Most people would go coach, but I'd never driven all the way to London, so I wanted to take on the challenge.

Hyperwave Launch Party was in night which celebrated the beginning the Hyperwave as a record label, headed & founded by Shirobon. The gig was situated in the north of London, in Shoreditch. I'd never been to Shoreditch, so I was really interested in going.

The reason for trekking all the way down to London for this party was the fact that the line up was absolutely sick:

1. PROTODOME - I'd been a HUGE fan of Protodome, so seeing him was the one act I was looking forward for.

2. Henry Home Sweet - He was a recent addition to my music collection, and I had been really enjoying his music.

3. Chipzel - I'd been listening to Chipzel's music for a while (I even did a review a while back on one of her Album's.). first getting introduced to her style in Super Hexagon. My friend had seen a couple times already and said she was epic to see.

4. Sabre Pulse - Fucking Sabre Pulse. I had loved his past music, and his newest albums were even better.

5. Shirobon - He was the one I had never listened to before, but from the hype and the fact that it was his event, I was hopeful.


PROTODOME


PROTODOME kicked off Hyperwave and superseded my expectations. Out of the all the artists
playing, he was the only one who was playing a proper instrument, an electronic clarinet, instead of solely relying on launchpads and gameboys. He was also a hardcore jazz musician, so I didn't need to look into his style to know he's an accomplished musician. Another thing that I loved about his set was that he would jam alongside his music, playing a great jazz solos throughout. This became especially apparently in his final song, New York Cheese Cake, where he would constantly play tunes over the top of the leads.

I thought PROTODOME was bloody awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed his set. The only problem I could saw was the vibe that some people hadn't listened to his music, and so I can understand if the crowd wasn't too reactive to the music. Though I didn't care; in my eyes his live set was killer.

Follow PROTODOME via Facebook








HENRY HOMESWEET

Next up came Henry Homesweet. I'd recently become a big fan of his latest EP, Luke's Atari, so I my expectations were high. His set up for his chiptune gig was using two PSP's linked into a soundboard which he operated the levels; quite interesting considering most people usually use a gameboy. 

Throughout his whole set, Henry kept the crowd dancing and moving to his beats. However it halfway through his set was more a mix of music, as he seemed to never play any of his own Stuff. That didn't really phase me though (or my friend) as much of the music that he mixed was ace. Because I'm really looking forward to him to seeing him play again at Super Byte festival but also see his new group Cymba.

Follow Henry Homesweet via Facebook




CHIPZEL


I was looking forward to seeing Chipzel. Before she moved to London, she lived Liverpool and would come down to Manchester quite a bit. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to see her back then, so I was quite hyped. Chipzel started off her set with a blast, going into Spectra immediately and get the audience riled up into a dance rave. Out of everyone there, Chipzel was the most classic chiptune artists, solely relying on gameboys to get the job done. Her dancing was also epic as well!!

The only blip, but not her fault, was when her LSDJ cartridge crashed, causing the music to stop. However all was needed was a quick blow the cartridge, pop it back into the gameboy and listen to the classic Nintendo Chime on the speakers. A brilliant way to continue a set!

Follow Chipzel via facebook

SABRE PULSE


Next up was Sabre Pulse. Aside from PROTODOME, he was another artist I'd been looking forward to a while. Through his music, I began to love drum and bass and realised dub step works incredibly well with chiptune! Sabre Pulse's set went off with a blast, both playing a bit of his own music as well as some remixes done by other's. I also liked the fact he incorporated different structures to songs, making them new. Some problems did happen like the microphone glitching, and the music stopping at the start, but didn't seem to phase me or the crowd. I also loved that he finished his set with First Crush (with Knife City), one of his best songs he's done.

Follow Sabre Pulse via Facebook

SHIROBON

Last but not least was the organiser of the event, Shirobon. I heard good things from the audience so I was looking forward to him playing. As soon as he began, everyone knew his show was going to be good, and he put on a fantastic show. His music was brilliant, a great blend of raviness, game boy chiptune and electronic samples. With out a doubt the best song was Meteor, which got the crowd jumping and throwing their fists in the air.

Follow Shirobon on Facebook


Over all, the Hyperwave Launch party was awesome. Fucking brilliant. It took so long and so much monies to get down to London but it was worth it. The chiptune scene down there is great and is better than Manchester (though I wouldn't trade Manchester for the world).



No comments:

Post a Comment